WordPress 3.7 released on October 24,2013.
As per WordPress’ blog, “WordPress 3.7 release nicknamed “Basie” features some of the most important architectural updates” that they’ve made to date.
As with any release of WordPress, WP-MONITOR recommends that you do the following:
- Perform a full backup of your website before upgrading.
- Check all your plugins and active theme and verify with manufacturer that they will work with this new release.
- Once you know the theme and plugins will work, update to this latest version of WordPress.
- Update your active theme if necessary.
- Update all your plugins if necessary.
- Test your entire site’s functionality and make sure everything is working.
- If something is not working, perform a full site recovery from your full backup.
As per WordPress’s blog, the major changes include:
- Updates while you sleep: WordPress is claiming that with 3.7, “you don’t have to lift a finger to apply maintenance and security updates. Most sites are now able to automatically apply these updates in the background. The update process also has been made even more reliable and secure, with dozens of new checks and safeguards.” WP-MONITOR strongly urges its clients not to perform any updates “automatically”. Any update to WordPress can cause your business website to crash if the update is not compatible with a plugin or theme that you have installed. Therefore, the updates should be done at a time that you can restore your site from a full backup.
- Stronger password recommendations: WordPress states that “Your password is your site’s first line of defense. It’s best to create passwords that are complex, long, and unique. To that end, our password meter has been updated in WordPress 3.7 to recognize common mistakes that can weaken your password: dates, names, keyboard patterns (123456789), and even pop culture references.” WP-MONITOR agrees strongly with this new feature and encourages all clients to change all administrator passwords to “strong passwords”.
- Better global support: With this new version, WordPress states that “Localized versions of WordPress will receive faster and more complete translations. WordPress 3.7 adds support for automatically installing the right language files and keeping them up to date, a boon for the many millions who use WordPress in a language other than English.” This is another great new enhancement that we be welcomed by all WordPress users worldwide.
View the entire WordPress 3.7 release blog